Reflective Summary; "Being a forever learner was not just a belief but a reality"
The English teaching experience I obtained from my internship at Telford International School Galle, which ran from January 7 to February 6, 2024, was enlightening because it allowed me to reflect upon my teaching methods in a physical learning environment. During this period I taught for Grade 6 and 7 students: 4 classes, focusing on the Pearson Edexcel 6 and 7 books which they have been following. All classes comprised both male and female students who are bilingual, with Sinhala as their first language. Although their proficiency levels are indicated by UTEL benchmark level 5 and CEFR B2 level observations and discussions with the teacher-in-charge, undertaken before formulating the practicum, revealed a discernible need among students to improve reading comprehension and writing skills along with vocabulary and grammar acquisition. While their spoken language is proficient, there was room for enhancement in responding confidently to questions and participating effectively in discussions. Before officially starting the internship I made sure that I observed the students and the experienced teacher to understand the teaching methodologies followed by the teacher and how students generally respond and learn during the lessons respectively.
As I mentioned in my philosophy of teaching I am a firm believer that teaching and learning are undetachable processes whereas a teacher is a forever learner. By the time I concluded my internship this notion I’ve upheld since the day I started my journey to learn how to teach students through the TESL degree was proved and further solidified into my soul. Teaching a completely unknown bunch of students felt like an exciting adventure for me as I love sharing my knowledge with little ones, on the other hand, looking at the students, what I felt was that they were way more excited to learn from a new English teacher because they loved a “Change” to their normal routine. From the initial day to the final day, what I intended was not to be the best teacher they had in their lives, but to be the most unforgettable teacher in the best possible way.
The ultimatum of my internship was to strike a balance between content and tasks, in other words, theory and practice. While I had to abide by the Edexcel Curriculum at the same time I wanted to make sure that the students get the chance to experience practical activities that allow them not only to acquire the knowledge but also to comprehend their innate capacities and abilities. I viewed myself not just as an instructor but as a facilitator of learning, striving to create a dynamic and engaging learning environment for my students.
Drawing inspiration from cognitive learning, social constructivism, differentiated learning, and experiential learning, I designed lessons that were not only informative but also interactive and meaningful. Likewise, to Address the students' need to improve reading comprehension, I incorporated interactive activities that allowed them to understand the lesson well through creative, interactive, and competitive activities. For instance, as the post-task of a lesson that focused on a prose fiction story ‘A Lucky Day by Linda Sue Park’, I designed an activity that helped them to enhance their vocabulary by focusing on contextual definitions for difficult words found in the story by using word cards. This approach not only made learning enjoyable and relatable but also provided practical examples for the students to apply their knowledge. To strike a balance between theory and practice, I integrated practical activities into the curriculum, allowing students to apply their learning in real-world contexts. For instance, when teaching about volcanoes and tsunamis, with the integration of media I gave them the real-time experience of a tsunami and asked them to interpret what they felt about the tsunami or its aftermath. This hands-on discussion-based experience not only enhanced their understanding of the topic but also encouraged teamwork and critical thinking.
Throughout the internship, I always tried not to elucidate teaching as a teacher-centered approach instead always tried to be in favor of more student-centered approaches. I utilized pair and group activities, in-class discussions, and concept-checking questions while pointing out to students to ensure active participation and engagement. If I elaborate further, saying the students' names out loud during the lesson to check whether they were paying attention acted as a positive reinforcement as children love to be recognized among the rest of the students by giving correct answers. Also, I made sure that I kept track of their progress by marking their books every day, this way they knew that they had to complete their work on time. As a small gesture of appreciation, I would always write a small note as a comment after marking their books so that the students out of enthusiasm and curiosity tried to finish their work first, neatly and correctly to get the comment from their teacher. The inculcation of simple yet a wide array of tactics to build their confidence, esteem, and enthusiasm not only fostered a positive learning environment but also empowered students to take ownership of their learning. As Wilson (1996) affirms "as the teachers relinquish control over the content, pacing and specific activities, students need corresponding increases in decision and performance support". (p. 7) One of the highlights of my internship was witnessing the student's enthusiasm for learning and their appreciation for a change in their normal routine. It reinforced my belief that teaching is not just about imparting knowledge but also about inspiring and motivating students to reach their full potential.
However, despite completing my teaching sessions with the support of the students, there were noticeable drawbacks that I must address to improve as a teacher. Managing the classroom during the initial weeks of my internship was challenging, as the students were accustomed to the previous teacher's authoritative approach. It took some time for me to establish my own authority. Additionally, managing disruptive behavior, especially from hyperactive students, and maintaining discipline while delivering the lesson was difficult for me as a novice teacher. Nonetheless, my teacher in charge demonstrated exceptional classroom management skills, and by the last week of my internship, I gained valuable insights into the importance of effective classroom management for conducting smooth and impactful lessons.
As the internship concluded, I realized that my initial notion of being a forever learner was not just a belief but a reality. Each day spent with my students taught me something new, reaffirming my belief that teaching is a journey of continuous growth and learning. In conclusion, my internship at Telford International School Galle was more than just a teaching experience; it was a journey of self-discovery and professional development. It has strengthened my commitment to being a lifelong learner and has equipped me with the skills and knowledge to continue evolving as an educator.
References
Wilson, B. G. (1996). Constructivist learning environments: Case studies in instructional design. Educational Technology.
